September 24, 2009

And then there were 3, My Sweet Cody part 2

Wow I just reread part one and it was like I was speed writing the story, sorry! Like I've said before I'm not a good story teller.


So I went in when I was 37 weeks for an amniocentesis which I was sooo scared of and it turned out not to be quite so bad. From talking to a friend I knew that if the fluid was cloudy then that meant his lungs were developed, clear not so good. So I focused on that and it was cloudy, so we knew they'd induce me that day!

I really don't like needles especially IV's. But when the student came in needing to practice putting IV's in I couldn't say no, big mistake! He stuck the needle in and it bent inside my hand. I was trying so hard to be brave and luckily after the 2nd failed attempt the other nurse took over and got it in right. OUCH! I got my epidural going, thank heavens. With Ashlyn I had a nasty nurse who refused to order my epidural on time and I had to go with out. However, the nurses I had kept sitting me upright even though the anesthesiologist kept telling them not to do that. So towards the end I was soooo numb because the stuff was just pooling in my spine instead of going down to my legs. When it was finally time around 1:30am we quickly called my mom and sister, and told them to hurry down. One good thing about ST joes is its pretty close to grandmas house.

I was a little loopy and the nurse kept telling me to stop laughing because the DR wasnt there yet. Once the DR made it in, I didnt even have to push, it was the easiest delivery ever, I laughed and he was born! And grandma and aunt Pam came in a few minutes later.





All my kids have been born with thick black hair and I love it! Cody did well on his apgar but his skin was a little purplish and his breathing was making a strange sound...
We thought it was sooo cute, until the nurse rushed him off for Xrays. They werent sure what was causing his breathing problems but they also found he had a broken collar bone. So he was taken to the nicu for observation, it would have been nice if they had told me he wouldnt be brought back to me : (
This is the only veiw the new big sisters had of their baby bother










I love the whole hospital stay after having a baby, but not so much when the baby is not in the room with you. It was sooo hard. We tried to hang out in the nursery as much as possible. But I really had a hard time. One day a sweet little lady came in to take my lunch order and I was in the bathroom crying, I think I scared her. The DR's didnt think Cody would be released the same day as me but at the last minute he was, I was so exstatic!
Cody was put on medication, and we had several follow up appts with the cardiologist. which has gone down to once a year now. But eventually everything with his heart corrected itself, at least for now. You'd never know he had any issues, he's got crazy energy!
He was such an easy baby, he only cried if I didnt get him his bottle soon enough. One of the blessings that came out of him being in a hospitla nursery for 4 days is they put him on a 4 hour schedule! During my pregnancy Katie and Ashlyn were both in school, and my awesome sister picked them up for me! Not to mention friends that all helped out. Now I can look back and mostly remember all the great things about this experience!
I have great kids! And a great Family!
~Sam

1 comment:

Flipping Out said...

Aww thanks for including me in the story. It's so wierd to think back on all this. It seems so long ago!